Teacher Training > Subject-based Learning > Primary English
Using Information Technology in the Learning and Teaching of English in Primary Schools
September 2003 - March 2004
Download Current Session as:
Sharing and review
4.1 Designing lesson plans integrating IT in the learning and teaching of English, based on the ideas covered in the previous sessions.
Instructors to give the following guidelines and guide participants in designing lesson plans during the class
- Establish a general learning target of the lesson(s)
Decide how long the learning session is (Single lesson? Lessons spread across weeks / cycles? A project?)
Establish streamlined learning goals for each lesson (Even at this point, the concept of integrating IT should be taken into account)
- Align with EMB's recommended curriculum and learning targets
- Consider focus of study of your school - school based
- Consider need of the students
Basis for assessment (of achievement of goals)
Idea of lesson flow
"Stimulants" - jokes? IT visuals?
Main learning content
Activities to achieve the learning content / goals (this is where the use of IT must be well integrated)
- Language focus (e.g. on listening, writing, etc...)
- Can be expressed in behavioural terms? (e.g. students can clearly pronounce the words learnt)
Concluding the lesson
- Verbal Instructions
- Student participation
- Use of IT in activities and monitoring students' participation (maximising its role, right attitude towards utilising IT, clear instruction so that students use it correctly)
- Recapping what has been learnt
- Make sure the IT device(s) are taken care of at the end of the lesson - good attitude
4.2 Participants are given 30 minutes to put the finishing touches on their group work.
Presentation of lesson plans, demonstration of lesson, feedback and review.
4.3 Group Presentation and evaluation
The "Evaluation on Other's Work" worksheet is passed to everyone in class - Primary Project Based Learning's evaluation
Instructors to facilitate: Everyone evaluates and pays attention in particular to the following points related to the use of IT in education:
- Is IT integrated naturally and effectively integrated into the lesson plan?
- Any better resource? (If there is obvious limitation to the original design)
If creators agree, completed Lesson-plans will be posted on the contractor's RTC site for sharing with other teachers.
Some tips for using IT in teaching
Evaluation for session 4